A bit more than a year ago, My Hedhammar and Christofer Lendel co-organized the first Worshop on Protein Materials at KTH (Stockholm, Sweden). The event was a success, attracting over 50 participants for a full day of presentation.
During this event, the field of protein material gathered a wide range of expertise around the same interest. Some were studying the auto-assembly of protein fibrils, others working to extract protein from agricultural wastes to create new materials, and others like me, using proteins as building blocks of the medical biomaterials of tomorrow.
After a fruitful discussion session at the workshop, we decided to start a new network of researchers with interests in protein materials. A website was created where anyone can register to be part of network. The focus is on Swedish and Scandinavian researchers, but it is open to anyone interested in collaborations. The website showcases the networks’ members, with details about their interests in protein materials, the type of experimental techniques they use, and the questions and challenges they are after.
For this first workshop was also launched a plan to prepare the Second Protein Materials Workshop! Today, we are happy to announce that this workshop will indeed be organised!
We are really excited about the lineup to speakers we already have.
- Nathalie Gontard, University of Montpellier, France. (packaging, food)
- Markus Linder, Aalto university, Finland. (molecular design)
- Meital Reches, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. (protein nanostructures, surface adhesion)
- Kristian Tryggvason, BioLamina AB (biomaterials)
- Tomas Plivelic, MAX IV laboratory (X-ray, characterization)
- Molly Stevens, Karolinska Institute (biomaterials)
Contributions are very much welcomed! Please submit an abstract for an oral or poster presentation
Registration deadline: 1st of March
Abstract submission deadline: 29th of January